Something needs to be done

M

Marty.H

The easiest way to sort this sort of thing happening is what was done on another one of the sites im on you have an approved sellers group. The person has to contact admin or a mod and request to be added to the group and that is after he/she has supplied you with all the details you ask for and if they have nothing to hide they wont have a problem giving them to you that then stops people posting random crap to get to the post count.

And for buyers to check out sellers you should add a section called

Member Feedback (Buyer/Seller)

every member then has there own feedback thread and they are added when they are approved to sell mine would simply read

Marty.H feedback thread

its very simple to do and would stop all these people tucking people up

just an idea

Billy MR

Billy MR

Great thinking marty, how's the recovery truck, all done?

foxy lady x

foxy lady x

Chief Model
The only trouble with checking if they are trusted or not is knowing who has sold and who hasn't. We have so many members on here now that it's hard to remember them all let alone what posts they have made.

We can only do so much to ensure members don't get ripped off but it's also the buyers responsibility to take the right precautions. The same as they should at any time when buying from strangers.
At the end of the day, we can all tap away on our keyboards, but in many ways we are all still strangers here :)
You can pretend we are strangers, but I've seen you naked :shock::razz:
except us on voxer lol
I haven't been on there for a long time :(
The easiest way to sort this sort of thing happening is what was done on another one of the sites im on you have an approved
sellers group. The person has to contact admin or a mod and request to be added to the group and that is after he/she has supplied you with all the details you ask for and if they have nothing to hide they wont have a problem giving them to you that then stops people posting random crap to get to the post count.

And for buyers to check out sellers you should add a section called

Member Feedback (Buyer/Seller)

every member then has there own feedback thread and they are added when they are approved to sell mine would simply read

Marty.H feedback thread

its very simple to do and would stop all these people tucking people up

just an idea
That does sound like a really good idea ! :)

R

rx jamie

on a local forum i am admin on we did this. we put the post count to 50 to be able to sell. anyone posting shite to get their count up is band without question. suspected multiple accounts are deleted aswell. we also stopped guests viewing the for sale section. the reason for this was we found that the person doing the ripping off can watch goings on in the for sale section as a guest and never has to log in to keep updated. however by hiding the section from guests the offending member had to log in, therefore it would appear on their profile that they have logged in recently, letting people know that particular member had been online and is still active and will have recieved any pm's sent, and will have most probably seen the thread. just helps confirm that you definately have been had and are just being ignored.

fq-craigus

fq-craigus

on a local forum i am admin on we did this. we put the post count to 50 to be able to sell. anyone posting shite to get their count up is band without question. suspected multiple accounts are deleted aswell. we also stopped guests viewing the for sale section. the reason for this was we found that the person doing the ripping off can watch goings on in the for sale section as a guest and never has to log in to keep updated. however by hiding the section from guests the offending member had to log in, therefore it would appear on their profile that they have logged in recently, letting people know that particular member had been online and is still active and will have recieved any pm's sent, and will have most probably seen the thread. just helps confirm that you definately have been had and are just being ignored.

I like this. I know we have touched upon post limits before and it was deemed not nessesary but if confirmed this is the 3rd case this year. As for making the for sale section private I too think that's a good idea

R

rx jamie

still no log in from tweak up :s i really hope its all innocent

B6lee

B6lee

Community Leader
Thats an interesting idea.
Ill give that one some thought...

on a local forum i am admin on we did this. anyone po we put the post count to 50 to be able to sell.sting shite to get their count up is band without question. suspected multiple accounts are deleted aswell. we also stopped guests viewing the for sale section. the reason for this was we found that the person doing the ripping off can watch goings on in the for sale section as a guest and never has to log in to keep updated. however by hiding the section from guests the offending member had to log in, therefore it would appear on their profile that they have logged in recently, letting people know that particular member had been online and is still active and will have recieved any pm's sent, and will have most probably seen the thread. just helps confirm that you definately have been had and are just being ignored.

think this is the only way to stop these fools :)

Nick

Nick

Superstar Admin
Yes, which is being taken seriously.
But a post count means nothing. I know from experience a post count does nothing. Someone can whack out 50 posts in a couple of days just by posting in the 'welcome' threads and a few other bits. If they want they can easily do it without it looking spammy. And on the flip side it does generate a load of crap from people who are genuine sellers wanting to get to advertise, and it means some people will simply not bother meaning the forum as a whole miss out on possibly useful parts or cars etc.

And on another note the view permission for non registered users has been removed for the for sale and wanted forums.

B6lee

B6lee

Community Leader
And on another note the view permission for non registered users has been removed for the for sale and wanted forums.

Yea but that still doesn't stop people signing up just to rip people off

Something needs to be done nick as its just not fair on all the genuine people on here

Nick

Nick

Superstar Admin
Yea but that still doesn't stop people signing up just to rip people off

Something needs to be done nick as its just not fair on all the genuine people on here

Indeed, but does forcing 50 posts stop them? No!

There isnt much more which can be done. Its a fact of life that people cant be trusted and trust needs to be earned. Im doing all that can reasonably be done!

jacko172

jacko172

i think that only guest's should see is the home page and nothing else , but i agree with rx jamie on all he has said !!

b6lee i agree with you but again how can you tell from someone who is genuine and someone who is not on here ?? for eg they may have 500 posts and then say they try and sell 1 thing and cause he got 500 posts still dnt make him a genuine person he again could still rip us off ??

i know i got caught out but ill never ever get the other party to send owt out ill fetch it no matter what it is if i need it that bad ill get it !

Phil74

Phil74

Trader
Trader
I think that guests on the forum should have limited access to threads and never to able to ask a question or to advertise anything for sale. For any future members it should be compulsory for all contact details to be given and a contact telephone number and valid email address for registration purposes on this forum. A password to be sent out to the address given upon registration on this forum for them to access the forum and all threads on the forum and at least then there is a name, telephone number and address registered with each member which will help prevent being scammed and taking payment for goods but not sending them which helps protect other members and friends on this forum. People work hard for their money and this will have knock on effects for people who are genuine and honest trying to sell their parts etc on here. I think think this should be considered by the forum committee who make up evoowners.co.uk

Nick

Nick

Superstar Admin
I think that guests on the forum should have limited access to threads and never to able to ask a question or to advertise anything for sale. For any future members it should be compulsory for all contact details to be given and a contact telephone number and valid email address for registration purposes on this forum. A password to be sent out to the address given upon registration on this forum for them to access the forum and all threads on the forum and at least then there is a name, telephone number and address registered with each member which will help prevent being scammed and taking payment for goods but not sending them which helps protect other members and friends on this forum. People work hard for their money and this will have knock on effects for people who are genuine and honest trying to sell their parts etc on here. I think think this should be considered by the forum committee who make up evoowners.co.uk

That's pretty much the status quo. Guests can only view threads and not even the for sale threads. You need to register to get proper access.
You couldn't demand things like address and phone number though as most people will not give that to 'some random forum'.
Phone validation is something i have looked at and may well do but it's not an easy thing to implement.