How too-Evo 4,5,6,7 rear diff replacement

trackday

trackday

Hi guys as above had to change my rear diff on my E4 the other day so thought i would let you in on how it went, as im a moblie mechanic my mate at TRACK SPEED lent me his ramp to do it on (i would recomend doing it on a 2 post ramp)
After trawling the net and looking how people have done it in the past i decided to ignore most of it and do it my way (im a fully qualified mechanic).

1. Put on ramp and send up and wd40 everything you see!!Then drain ayc and diff oils from the diff (2 x large nuts at bottom of the diff.)

2. Remove both antiroll bar lower tie bar nuts and move tie bars out of the way (i needed to hold the tie bar ball with mole grips as they kept spinning plus loads of lube)

3. Remove the prop shaft bolts and move the prop out of the way (just the prop to diff bolts need to be removed,looks like theres 6 but 2 are dummy)

4. Remove both lower arm bolts at the subframe then get a pry bar and put between the driveshaft and diff and crack both driveshafts outward so they just start to come out of the diff.At this stage you wont be able to take them fully out yet.

5. Remove the 2 AYC pipes and then follow the pipes up and you will see a pipe clip half way up the diff remove the bolt and the pipes are then free.

6. Next reomove all the subframe to body bolts there are 8 bolts then 2 nuts at the front i removed all of these and supported the subframe with a gearbox stand.

7. Lower the gearbox stand and now its time to remove the driveshafts.(you may need two people for this)To do this make sure the driveshafts are loose still in the diff and not popped back in then pull the drivers side rear wheel outwards from the back of the wheel while a friend is guiding the shaft out of the diff off the splined shaft (way hey) and when clear rest it at the front of the diff, On the passenger side shaft make sure it is loose and removal is below in stage 8.

8. Now remove the 5 main fixing bolts to the diff, 2 at the front, 1 going up in the middle rear and 2 at the back of the diff at the top and your diff is free, now guide it out of the subframe towards the front of the car and at the same time off the passenger side driveshaft (sounds tricky but two of you its easy).

9. The diff is now on the floor ready to be replaced or repaired.

10. Before you refit the diff fill up the ayc bath its the large nut at the back marked ayc its easier to do it on the floor than when back up as the subframe is in the way.

11. To refit do everything above backwards but one massive massive massive thing is dont do the AYC pipes too tight like i did....... Lets just say it comes out quicker the second time and swapping the o/s outter casing is no fun when you see whats inside and has to be lined up :( ....

12. Fill up the diff oil

13. Bleeding the AYC great fun lol i used 3 people for this 1 in drivers seat,1 in the boot and me underneath.

1.Fill up resivoir in boot
2.Start car
3.Engage first gear and maintain 2500 revs wheels turning
4.Slowly turn steering right while cracking off left bleed nipple on the diff until full lock is made and lock off bleed nipple.
5.Now slowly turn steering to left while crackin off right bleed nipple until full lock is made and lock off bleed nipple
6.Make sure resivoir level ok
7.Repeat 4,5,6 3 or 4 times (The AYC lamp will come on in car while bleeding)
8.Lock off the nipples check for leaks

14. Take for a short road test try and do a couple of figures of 8 and check for AYC lamp (If lamp comes on re-bleed) No lamp return to workshop check resivoir and check for leaks hopefully if it like mine all was ok

DONE!!!!!

Hope you guys find this helpful

trackday

trackday

Starting my E5 rebuild and fitment soon so will write up as i go along :)

H

Hughandjenny

Had the EVO 6 for 10 days. Took it out of the garage today to find transmission typr fluid under the car. The last owner had obviously tightened up one of the AYC bolts too hard and had cracked the case. How much was a new case for yours? and where did you get it from. Being an amateur mechanice how hard is ti to refill with all the gear and finally I assume you have to take the whole diff assembly off to do the job.
Thanks
Hugh

trackday

trackday

Hi gutted for ya mate!!! I used my old casing off my scrap diff the best way for you to do it is buy another complete diff ready to go i paid 125 quid for mine off ebay. Yeah you do have to take the diff out complete to replace it also if your only a ameatur mechanic i would sugest you get profesional help also just so you dont f==k anything up lol. The only other way i can think to do it is try and get it welded but i wouldnt hold your breath on it working, hope this helps dave

H

Hughandjenny

Thanks Dave will look out for another one and get a machanic frien to help me install.

trackday

trackday

cool follow the above and you will be fine!!!!honest lol

R

roadstar79

hey i have just changed my diff using your instructions. but when i came to bleed it i get fluid squirting out of one nipple but only a slight dribble out the other. any idea what could be causing this?

trackday

trackday

i had that but was fine try it on test drive see if light comes on then go in a car park and boot it while turning so it the ayc kicks in if like mine it was fine :)

R

roadstar79

Thanks, i have taken it for a drive, light didnt come on but its making the strangled donkey squeel when the ayc kicks in like the old diff. Can that be from air in the system or have i just put in another buggered diff?