Ayc help!!!!! Please

M

Matturbo

Hi lads drivin down m25 this morning an ayc came on never has before and was onlu serviced 1000mile ago
Done diagnostic
Got ayc fault code 41 which is tps short or open circuit
And code 82 pump or switch malfunction.
Any ideas where to start??

Any help appriciated cheers

HermaN

HermaN

Ignore code 41, it can come up with code 82, the real issue is code 82. Either your pump has failed and unable to make good pressure or the pressure switch has failed. Some people buy adjustable pressure switches to lower the pressure needed to make the system think the AYC is working correctly.

If it only needs a very small adjustment, some people say this is an adequate fix, some say it's a bodge. Brand new AYC pump from Mitsu is £3000, 2nd hand pump is nearer £300, or you can get yours refurbed by some places.

Of you can remove the AYC fuse under the bonnet and remove the bulb from the dash, that way you will be running an open diff with no AYC until you get it sorted.

M

Matturbo

Cheers for getting back to me will it do any harm running it how it is? Or is it best to take fuse out if so which one is it and which fuse box cheers mate
Matt

B6lee

B6lee

Community Leader
I had code 82 also and was pump fail. Second had pumps are available but can be a gamble. Best to agree with the person selling it that if you find after fitting it that it doesn't work then they will refund your money and send it back :)

HermaN

HermaN

Cheers for getting back to me will it do any harm running it how it is? Or is it best to take fuse out if so which one is it and which fuse box cheers mate
Matt

You can leave it as-is if you prefer. Will not cause any harm at all, when the light is on the AYC is turned off, nothing more than that. When mine failed I removed the fuse and the bulb because it just annoyed me seeing it on. The fuse is in the little fuse box attached directly to the +'ve terminal of the battery. There will be 2x 60A fuses, one of them is for the ABS, and both are bolted on, so wont just pull out. Leave the ABS one and remove the other one which is for the AYC.

M

micevo

i have an ajustable AYC pressure switch for an E4,5,6, if interested will have a look for it.... £30 delivererd

M

Matturbo

Cheers guys appriciate is the adjustable one a bodge or will it do the job ? Or is it best just to disconnect personally i think its more hassle than whats its worth jist dont want to damage diff as only put new one in 10months ago But also dont want to bodge and im selling up an rest of car is mint????

B6lee

B6lee

Community Leader
I'd say best just to leave it if your not gonna change the pump. The adjustable switch is just masking the problem rather than fixing it :)

R

ron23

hi guyz..happened to me yeterday...it came up after 1year..ACD were all lit up...but after several minutes it's gone and normal and it settled in Tarmac mode..it showed up when i chose gravel and snow...i then switched off the car for 5min..and drive carefully and it never came back...why is that? am i low in ACD fluid?

R

RogerRally

If you do a google search for an "AYC pump tester", you can rent a Pressure gauge for £20 from Erento, that lets you know how close to optimum the pump is still running.
If its just a little bit off on a hot day, but fine when cold, then fitting a slightly lower rated switch still keeps the system working within a working range, but if it turns out the pump is well off a useable state, then sending it off for refurbishment is probably the best option than fitting a lower rated switch.
It is safe to run without the pump running, but your just going to scrub the outer edge of the front tyres as the back end is not doing anything to help dial out the understeer.
The Evo 7-9 uses a variable sensor to monitor the internal pressure of the pump, sometimes its just the sensor that has failed, and a replacement can be bought off ebay for £99, or else a pump refurb should cure. Again using a pump tester should let you know whats wrong, (solenoid jammed, accumulator not helding full pressure charge etc),I dont think an electical code test will help as much.
Hope your problems solved by now.

J

Johnnybhoy84

Ive just bought an Evo X which has just had the AYC pump overhauled but now im intermittently getting the asc, abs and awc service required warnings showing up. They all appear at the same time but then they will all just disappear together too. Keeps happening though. When the warnings are showing the AYC pump doesnt seem to be working as you can hear it when it operates. does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
John

A

andymrfq320

if you're up to the job i would suggest taking the unit off and sending it to harry hockley motorsports, check out there website ;)
i can supply you with a bit of kit to bleed the system out for removal and when you refit for £80 delivered, you can then use it to service your unit when ever you like :)
Cheers Andy

J

Johnnybhoy84

Thanks for the reply. I certainly could take the pump off but It was apparently overhauled by Harry Hockley motorsport just recently. The intermittent fault has now turned into constant warning lights. I also find that its a bit hesitant to turn while the steering is fully locked in either direction & forward and reverse. Its my first Evo though so not sure wether its just part of the AWD system? As i've just bought the car the dealer can sort it out for me -as it was advertised in perfect condition.

A

andymrfq320

Thanks for the reply. I certainly could take the pump off but It was apparently overhauled by Harry Hockley motorsport just recently. The intermittent fault has now turned into constant warning lights. I also find that its a bit hesitant to turn while the steering is fully locked in either direction & forward and reverse. Its my first Evo though so not sure wether its just part of the AWD system? As i've just bought the car the dealer can sort it out for me -as it was advertised in perfect condition.

hiya
sorry my comments were to the op, you're right in what you're saying though, first port of call should be to the garage where it was bought from, not exactly wear and tear! do you have the paper work from hockley to back up the work they're supposed to have done??

Mikeyc

Mikeyc

What model evo is it I might have a pump for sale soon as im converting to a full rs diff setup including removing ayc pump
Mines off an 8 ;)

J

Johnnybhoy84

Its a Evo X mate. Got the problem sorted now ....turned out to be a faulty abs sensor (wheel bearing) and just replaced the whole hub so all warning lights gone now ... Happy days.