1. Welcome. We have only just upgraded so there may be a few little niggles and issues! Please let us know when you find them! And enjoy the super shiny new forums

How to remove door panel EVO 9

Discussion in 'How To' started by Jonny IX, Jan 24, 2012.

Advert:
  1. Jonny IX

Jonny IX Group Buy Organiser

Heres a easy step by step guide on how to remove the Evo 9 door panel (it will probably work for 7,8 & 9, dependant on what model car you have e.g. RS has window winders )

1. First thing's first get your tools ready for the job in hand .....

[​IMG]

Masking tape for end of screwdrivers (I didn't want to mark any panels)
    Large flat head screwdriver- For popping off the door panel
    small cross head screwdriver- For door fixings
    small thin flat head screwdriver- For popping off little panels etc.
    zip-loc bags - Keeping all the fittings in.

I know my carpets are minting but I've been busy in the car so :whistling:

2. Locate the little covers in the top left and bottom right of the door panel and gently pop the top off with the small flat head screw driver and undo the screw.
    There is two of these per door panel

DO NOT USE TOO MUCH FORCE AS THERE IS LITTLE PIECES OF PLASTIC HOLDING MOST OF THE SMALL PIECES YOU NEED TO REMOVE AND THEY WILL BREAK IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Locate the plastic cap inside the door grab, and using the advice in step 2, pop off the cap and under the screw inside this compartment and gently prise it away from the panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. To remove the door handle itself at first seems a little scary as the plastic is rather brittle but there is a knack to it.Firstly undo the screw in the door handle
    Pull the door handle in the open position and then gently prise away the lower part of the surround and then lift the top part slightly and slide it over the handle, you may have to use the thin flat head to lift it away from the panel .....this is why I wrapped my screw drivers in masking tape ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Remove the window switches being careful again not to mark the interior door card or the switch, gently prise up the switch with a the thin flat head or wait until the door card is almost off the door and then pop it out from underneath.

[​IMG]

Disconnect the switches and your almost ready to get the door card off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Using the large flat head, push the panel away from the door going all the way around the door card, you will here a pop as the plastic clips holding the door card come away from the door, I found the easy place to start was up by the door lock, there is a small recess in the door which allows easy access for the flat head.

[​IMG]

Once you have popped off all the clips you can the door card will still feel like it is held in place this is where you must slightly lift and pull away the door card as it is also held by a lip at the top of the door card it should just lift off then it will leave you with this.

[​IMG]

At this stage if you were sound deadening your doors you would remove the plastic wrap on the door but more on this in my next How To.......

To put the panel back on reverse the process step -by-step.

In all it took me about 30 mins per side to get the door panel and the speaker out

2. Jonny IX

you know where the woot is folks LOL

3. evoaps

evoaps Well-Known Member

Good man jonny I'm sure this will be of use :)

4. foxy lady x

foxy lady x Chief Model

firstly Jonny you shouldn't use a flat head screwdriver as it scratches the panel and can crack it, (you can buy the equipment to remove the panels without any damage )

secondly : dear god how dirty is your footwell lol :whistling:

other then that keep up the good work :D

5. Jonny IX

Masking tape for end of screwdrivers (I didn't want to mark any panels)
    Large flat head screwdriver- For popping off the door panel
    small cross head screwdriver- For door fixings
    small thin flat head screwdriver- For popping off little panels etc.
    zip-loc bags - Keeping all the fittings in.

I know my carpets are minting but I've been busy in the car so

2. Locate the little covers in the top left and bottom right of the door panel and gently pop the top off with the small flat head screw driver and undo the screw.
    There is two of these per door panel

DO NOT USE TOO MUCH FORCE AS THERE IS LITTLE PIECES OF PLASTIC HOLDING MOST OF THE SMALL PIECES YOU NEED TO REMOVE AND THEY WILL BREAK IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL

Read more: http://www.evoowners.co.uk/f33/how-remove-door-panel-evo-9-a-7228.html#ixzz1kS9JFb00

did you read the thread or just look at the pretty pictures LOL

6. Steve220

Steve220 New Member

Just to add, I've been removing door cards off my evo for the past 3 weeks due to wiring work and you don't need to prise the cards off with a screwdriver, there's a recess at the bottom of the card, give it a good hard tug and it will pop the clips without breaking them. Never broken one yet :) good guide though jonny, a lot of people don't have the courage to work on their cars and guides like these can show how easy it is.

7. Jonny IX

I havent broke a clip yet with the screwdriver I just wanted even pressure on each one to get em off but I have used the pull method when I cant find a tool to use LOL

8. LeeEvoMR9

LeeEvoMR9 New Member

Easy to get off but bit of a pain to put back on but all done now :)